Wednesday, November 20, 2013

The Last Two Years in 740 Words or Less!

I thought it’d be fun to play one of those ice breaker games to help us all get to know each other better, but trying to find someone who has climbed Mount Everest or someone who is currently wearing an NFL t-shirt is a bit difficult in the blogging world. So to help you get to know a bit more about me, I’ll start with the story of how our home became our home.  


Our house hunt started quite randomly while out driving one weekend. We saw an open house and decided to check it out. The rest is history, as they say. We got the home buying itch, but we were not yet Mr. & Mrs and were both in the middle of apartment leases so we weren't in a huge hurry to find anything. We met a Realtor at a random open house, she took down our contact information, and called us a couple weeks later regarding another house she was showing. The property had been on the market for a bit and the price was just reduced. We agreed to stop by and check it out.

Until then, the only “feeling” I had gotten from the houses we had looked at was a growing anxiety that what I thought I wanted didn't exist. When we walked through the front door of this one though, my heart went pitter-patter. I was surprised because the inside of the house wasn't necessarily what I had been looking for. While some areas, like the bathrooms, had been recently updated making it feel a bit more modern, other rooms seemed a little dated, but they still felt cozy. The house was big enough for us to grow into (2600 sq. ft.) and had a large yard (1.75 acres). It’s hard to explain, but I just felt peaceful there. It didn't take long to decide this would be our house and we closed on the deal in November 2011. 

I remember the day we moved in because it’s also the day my Mr. proposed! I will have to share that story in another post…


So we've been in the house for almost two years, and we are just starting to do some work on it now. Why the wait? Well, two weeks after we bought the house, I got notice that I was getting laid off from work. Talk about a shock. I bought a house, got engaged, and got laid off all in one month’s time. Fortunately, I was only out of work for a week. I took a temporary assignment for a few months and found a new full time position shortly after. Once the anxiety of being unemployed was resolved, I was in full wedding planning mode. We set a date for September 22, 2012 and there was a lot to be done! I managed to put up some pictures and set out some accessories from each of our apartments but that is as far as I got in decorating. In fact, as of today, there are still empty picture hooks on the walls from the previous owners.

Once we were married, my Mr. had four busy months of finishing up his Bachelor’s degree and then we escaped for a week on our honeymoon in Punta Cana.
January to present has been quite a whirlwind. We've gained two nephews and a niece and got a new puppy. I decided to start my professional organizing business and blog and my hubby has started a Master’s Degree this fall. Whew! When does life slow down exactly??

It’s been nice to take some time to settle in. But now, little things that I could deal with before are starting to stare me down chanting, “Fix me!” As the ideas begin swirling and the energy begins building, I am so excited to share the progression with all of you.

I just completed the process of going through each room and very aggressively purging. I threw out, donated, and held a garage sale. With each room de-cluttered, it will be easier to go back in and organize what is left and update where necessary. Thanks for coming along on the adventure with me!

What project has life postponed for you that you’re excited to get started on?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and read every one! I look forward to hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...