Monday, May 12, 2014

Washing Windows The Easy Way

I can see clearly now the snow is gone...

Well, the snow is gone but the long harsh winter has left our windows downright dirty and disgusting. So, seeing clearly? Not so much.

Now that it's starting to get warmer outside and the sun is shining a bit more, the dirty windows are driving me nuts. I want to see spring outside and enjoy it! But I don't want to spend days upon days scrubbing dirty windows on a ladder with a squeegee and bucket. So, I was super excited to stumble upon this easy, DIY outdoor window cleaner that promises to dry streak free without any drying or squeegee necessary! Sound too good to be true? Find out with me!



The recipe for the cleaning solution is:

1/2 bottle of Jet Dry
4 tbsp alcohol
1/4 cup ammonia
1 handful powdered dishwasher soap
2 gallons hot water



Here is a before shot of my disgusting windows:




Our windows have screens and storm panels so I removed both and propped them up on the porch. 



I cleaned the windows when it was a bit cloudy and the sun, when it did shine was still on the other side of the house. This will prevent streaks from forming when the sun light dries the solution too quickly.

I sprayed down the windows with the hose on the "center" setting and also sprayed down the storm panels and the screens at the same time. Then, using a car wash sponge, I slopped the homemade solution onto the windows and the storm panels, scrubbing a bit to get the stuck on grime off. 




Then, I rinsed the solution off with the hose. The picture below explains why the inside of the windows never stays clean...




Once they were rinsed, I put the hose away and waited.

I couldn't believe my eyes! Clean, dry, and streak free with no drying or squeegees. It's really hard to take a picture of a clean window. But here is a shot I took from inside the house looking out the newly cleaned glass.



I hadn't put the storm panels back in because I wanted to make sure they'd come out clean. So once I was satisfied with their look, I reassembled the screens and the storm panels. 

I learned a couple things in this process; the main thing being we really need new windows. The process of removing the storm panels and screens was very tedious and the wooden windows they revealed when removed are so worn out that we actually had some water leak into the house when I was spraying. I guess I know what the next budget saving item is! 

Nevertheless, the front windows on the house are clean and I'll make my way around the back as weather permits. I'm really excited to get these windows open and let the spring breezes air out the house.

This mix is a 100% success!

Do you have any secret window washing techniques that make your life easier?

This post was shared in a link party at:

4 comments:

  1. I really like your post! It's very informative and nice written! And your dog is really cute! I was searching for tips, but I'll be happy to see more pictures of your pet! :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, Kate! Our dog, Mando, can be spotted in a handful of posts throughout the blog :) I'd have to agree that he is pretty adorable.

      Delete
  2. It really looks pretty easy like this! I have to do this also soon because it is getting colder and colder. Thank you for sharing. Mando is a nice doggy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I'm not ready for the cold weather ahead, but if you need to get your windows clean before it hits, this is by far the easiest way I've found to do it! Mando is great, just not to the windows ;)

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and read every one! I look forward to hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...