Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Preserve Your Memories: Create a T-shirt Quilt

My Mister has one million t-shirts.

Not really. But it feels like one million.

He wears five of them.

What do we do with the other 999,995? Store them in his closet of course!

Over the past year, I’ve been cleaning out my closet bit by bit each quarter to drastically reduce the amount of clothing I own. You can read about that here, here, and here. Each time I clean out my closet, I take a few minutes to re-organize his closet. Re-organize means take out one million t-shirts. Fold one million t-shirts. Sort one million t-shirts by color. Return one million t-shirts to his closet. 

The last couple times I’ve gone through this process, I’ve tried to pull out a handful that he doesn’t wear and that don’t have sentimental value and, with his consent, have donated them to someone else’s one million t-shirt collection. But a handful at a time still leaves us with a lot of t-shirts.

A good portion of his t-shirt collection is made up of what I would call sentimental shirts. Shirts he got for running a race. Shirts he got from his high school sports teams. Shirts he got for all the different places he’s worked. Shirts he’s got on vacation. Shirts he’s got from concerts. It’s hard to get rid of these because they have some sentimental value; some meaningful memory attached to them.

So what is one to do with all that sentiment? A t-shirt quilt!



This week we are celebrating our two year wedding anniversary (Yay!). Now, I’m not an extremely traditional girl, but I think it’s fun to follow the list of traditional wedding gifts because it offers a challenge to come up with something meaningful in a specific category. When I found out year two was cotton, I was stumped. Sure, I could get him some nice lounging pants or a new dress shirt, but that’s not very romantic.

Then the light bulb went off. T-shirts!

What better way to celebrate the love I have for my mister than celebrating who he is and all that he has accomplished? So I secretly dug out a pile of his t-shirts that fell into that sentimental category and planned to put them together into a t-shirt quilt for him as his anniversary gift.

I looked online for patterns, tutorials, ideas, etc and I actually found a lady who will make the quilt for you… but I couldn’t bring myself to spend that much money and I thought it would mean more if the quilt was hand made by yours truly. Now, I’m not a professional sewer by any means. My skill set falls in the very beginner level. But with the help of some great patterns and tutorials online I was able to follow the process and put a quilt together pretty easily!

A little cutting...



A little sewing...


And ta-da!



He was very excited (even though it wasn’t completely finished on our actual anniversary). He said I should have made it bigger! Now that I have one quilt under my belt, I just might venture into making a larger one. Maybe a concert t-shirt quilt or a vacation destination quilt.

If you’re interested in making your own (or having one made for you), here are the links I found most helpful:

Seams To Be You and Me - a great tutorial available online or in PDF 

Instructables - a tutorial without the sashes in between blocks

Maiden Jane - a PDF pattern you can purchase or the option to send in your shirts and have a quilt made for you


Do you have any creative ideas to contain a growing pile of t-shirts?

This post was shared in a link party over at:

     30 Handmade Days     ABFOL One Project at a Time

5 comments:

  1. That looks really nice, you did a good job. And it looks comfy. No wonder Mister wants a bigger one. My sister-in-law is making one for my nephew, who was a swim champ in high school and college and has a lot of shirts from that. The instructions she got say to use iron-on interfacing to help stabilize the T-shirt fabric. I'm thinking of making one, too. I'll check out the links.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christy! I'm so glad that you stopped by. I did use the iron-on interfacing as well. I was a little intimidated by it at first, but it turned out rather simple to use and it really did stabilize the t-shirt fabric well. I'm sure your nephew will love his quilt!

      Delete
  2. We're so glad our T-shirt quilt tutorial helped you make this beautiful quilt - it looks GREAT!!
    Cindi @ seamstobeyouandme.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely idea. My hubby wears his old shirts as sleep shirts, so by the time he's finished with them I think they would be far to raggedy for a quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! At least he gets good use out of them! :)

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and read every one! I look forward to hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...