Wednesday, November 26, 2014

T is for Thankful

My original intent for this post was to pick one of my favorite products and talk about all the reasons I am thankful for it, hoping to share some ways to use this product outside of its original purpose. But then I started thinking about the long list of all of the things I’m thankful for, and my intent changed dramatically.



I have been blogging here at Open Concept Organizing for about a year. (Can you believe it’s been a year already?) This is post #93! I’ve learned a ton about the World Wide Web, the land of blogging, organizing and what it means to be organized, and about myself. I’ve had the opportunity to get to know some online friends who I wouldn’t have known without this blog, and I’ve had some opportunities to get to know the people around me in my own community just through networking this blog. For all of these things, I am thankful.

But my thankfulness goes well beyond that of this digital home of mine. I’m thankful for my mister who lets me write about our home and the happenings within it. He never once rolled his eyes at one of my crazy project ideas (or at least didn’t let me see him do it.) He encourages me and supports me day in and day out. And I’m thankful for my family who read my posts pretty diligently. They also provide encouragement and support, and are more than willing for me to “practice” organizing with and for them any time.

Beyond that, I’m thankful every morning for a new day, for a body that is healthy and working. I am thankful for my day job that allows me to help pay our bills, have a little fun, and blog in my free time. I’m thankful for a roof over my head and heat coming out of the furnace. I’m thankful that I have a car to drive to get to where I need to go. I’m thankful for the food in our cupboards and I’m thankful that when I go to the grocery store to buy more, I have the means to do so. I’m thankful that pure, clean, drinkable water comes out of my faucet whenever I turn it on and bright light comes out of the fixtures in our home when I flip the light switch. 

Though technology can be overwhelming sometimes, I’m thankful for the internet and the ability to make friends around the world without leaving my home. I’m thankful for so much knowledge at my fingertips and I’m thankful for the desire to learn that has been planted in me. 

Even further beyond that, I’m thankful for my faith. I’m thankful that I live in a place that allows me to express it freely and openly.

As the holiday season rolls in, I’m overwhelmed at just how much I have to be thankful for and I’m reminded of the real reason I celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas. I’m reminded that it’s not about rushing around, spending money, eating until my pants don’t fit, and gaining more new things. It’s about reflection. It’s about giving. It’s about sharing time with those we love and showing love to those who need it. It’s about the ending of one chapter and the beginning of a new one. It is about hope and peace and gratefulness.

I’ve decided to take a few weeks away from this place. I enjoy blogging here so much, but with a regular full-time job and a full social calendar, it’s hard to squeeze in the time to write quality stuff while staying focused on the meaning of the season. So, I bid you farewell temporarily. I wish you and yours a very thankful Thanksgiving and a very Merry Christmas season. I plan to return in January with a new year of organizing posts, tips, tricks, and excitement. 

Don’t forget about me while I’m gone and I promise, I won’t forget about you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and read every one! I look forward to hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...