Friday, January 24, 2014

Freezer Meal Friday ~ Sweet Potato Chili

Happy Friday everyone! It's currently 5 degrees outside... Sounds like a good day to stay in and make some chili!

I used to be afraid of sweet potatoes. Well, maybe not afraid, but certain I didn't like them. A couple years ago, I was introduced to sweet potato fries and it was love at first bite. Since then, I've tried to incorporate them into our meals in different ways and have found that they're not so scary after all - in fact, they can be quite delicious. This recipe is no exception.


The original version of this recipe, shared over at Once A Month Meals, was actually gluten free. I didn't go out of my way to make it gluten free but, for those out there looking for delicious gluten free meal options, this is one great option. You'll need the following ingredients:

  • 2 medium sized sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
  • 1 yellow onion, diced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 15 oz. can of red kidney beans, drained and rinsed (I used light)
  • 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped (I used green)
  • 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes (undrained)
  • 1 tbsp chili powder (gluten free if desired)
  • 1 tbsp smoked paprika (I used regular paprika)
  • 1 tsp chipotle chili powder (gluten free if desired)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup vegetable broth (gluten free if desired)
  • 1/2 cup orange juice


I diced up all the veggies and added them to the freezer bag. I have to give a shout out to my amazing Pampered Chef Garlic Peeler once again. I love this thing!



Finish adding the ingredients to the freezer bag, toss gently to mix, and seal the bag. With a recipe like this that contains a lot of liquid, I often opt to just freeze the solid ingredients and then add the liquid when I dump it into the crock pot. But you can certainly freeze the entire recipe. Another alternative would be to actually cook up this recipe and then store it in one or two serving size containers in the freezer. Just thaw and eat!

If you do decide to freeze it before cooking it, just thaw the bag in the fridge over night and dump the contents into the crock pot in the morning (adding the liquid ingredients if necessary). 



Cook on low for about six hours or until sweet potatoes are tender. Then enjoy! 


I served this with sweet rolls and some crackers but it's filling and satisfying all by itself too.

Do you have a new-found love for a certain food? Which one?

This post was shared in a link party over at:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and read every one! I look forward to hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...