Thursday, March 20, 2014

Anniversary Date Wall Art

If you’ve been following along on this blog of mine, you know that I’ve been on the quest for some cheap and easy wall art ideas to add color and personality to our entry way. A couple weeks back, I completed a string art project which I adore. But that wasn’t quite enough. I saw these two projects on Pinterest -  {one} and {two} – and was inspired to create something similar. It tells our guests a bit of history of how our family came to be, which I like. And, it will always remind my Mister of those important dates ;)


I picked up a simple 12 x 12 black frame from JoAnn’s with a 50% off coupon. Then I scoured the scrapbook paper aisle at Hobby Lobby. My Mister was waiting in the car so it was more scrambling than scouring, but that’s okay because if I have all the time in world at Hobby Lobby, I will spend it there. 

I found a 12 x 12 polka dot print that had the brown, turquoise, and yellow currently highlighted in the entry. I scooped up a couple of those and then some 8.5 x 11 sheets of vellum. I couldn’t decide what shade I liked best so I grabbed three different ones and headed out the door; $4.75 - not bad.

I had an idea in my mind of what I wanted the fonts to look like but couldn’t find anything in my standard word processing program. I visited www.1001freefonts.com and, wow, I was a bit overwhelmed. The category options at the top helped a bit and I finally settled on two fonts called A Song for Jennifer and Clicker Script. I downloaded those and set up my layout using Microsoft Word.





Once I was satisfied with the spacing and color, I printed it out on the three different shades of vellum. I decided to go with the least transparent option because the polka dots peeking through felt too busy to me. 

Then it was just a matter of inserting the paper into the frame.






















I’m really happy with how it turned out. It’s simple but cute and adds some color and personality just as I’d hoped. With the string art and another piece that I purchased shortly after we moved in, I have three 12 x 12 pieces that I plan to hang vertically in the entry way. I’ll share another pic when they are all hung up!

This project was shared in a link party over at:

One Project at a Time Link party - ABFOL    Sew-Many_Ways  30 Handmade Days

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and read every one! I look forward to hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...