Monday, March 31, 2014

The Art of Hanging Art

Remember my two DIY art projects? There was this one, and this one. Remember how I said I’d hang them on the wall eventually? Well I try not to make promises I can’t keep – so I got those babies hung up!



Hanging anything on your walls can be intimidating. You have to get it level, get the nail in the right spot, etc. And hanging multiple items on the wall can be even more intimidating – getting the spacing right, getting them all at the same height. What’s a girl to do?

Throughout my professional career as a Pinterest browser (that should be a real paid gig…), I’ve stumbled across a few different ways to ease the pain of hanging things on the wall. Here are a few:

1.) Make a Photocopy {via}

American Woodworker provides a great tip to hanging objects on the wall effortlessly.

This method involves making a photocopy of the back of the item you want to hang. You could use a regular photocopy machine or a printer/scanner/copier. Then tape the photo on the wall where you'd like the object to hang. Drill where the holes are, set your screws, and hang your item perfectly!

2.) Masking Tape {via}



Here, you place a piece of masking tape across the back of your frame or item you want to hang and mark on the tape where your screws should go. Then, using a level, stick the tape on the wall where you'd like to hang your frame. Drill where the screw marks are, and set your screws. Easy, easy.


3.) Paper Template {via}



This one involves tracing an outline of your frame onto a piece of paper, cutting it out, and marking where the nail hole is. Then you tape the outline to the wall where you want your item and put the nail or screw where it needs to go. This is an especially helpful method when you are looking to do a gallery wall or hang multiple items because you get a good idea of the layout before you start putting holes in the wall.

So what will it be? Did I choose method 1, 2 or 3?

I chose method 3. I retrieved the level, ruler, picture hanging kit, scrap paper, and hammer from the basement and marched upstairs. I told the Mister that he was going to hear some loud noises and maybe some obscenities (not really, I don’t do that…) but not to worry. I was just making our house better. He loves when I say that. 

Since my frames were 12 x 12 and I had 12 x 12 scrapbook paper on hand, I skipped the tracing and cutting step and went right to marking the nail holes. With those marked, I taped my three pieces of paper on the wall and moved them around a bit until I liked where they were. Then I used the level to make sure each piece was straight, and checked the ruler to make sure they were evenly spaced. I measured twice and nailed once. I think I actually measured about 13 times. Once all three pieces of paper were "perfect" I nailed all of the nails into the wall, removed the paper, and hung the frames. 



No “oops” holes were created in this hanging of art. All three projects are evenly spaced and perfectly lined up. When the mister walked over to investigate all of the loud noises and lack of obscenities, he had me slam the door a few times just to make sure they would stay on the wall. They didn’t budge. High five to me.

If you want detailed instructions for either of my DIY projects, click here or here. I am super happy with this collection of “art” that will greet our guests. So many more projects to complete to finish off this room – but these three make the room a bit brighter and happier. 




What are your tricks for hanging items accurately?

This post was shared in a link party at:

One Project at a Time Link party - ABFOL

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and read every one! I look forward to hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...