Wednesday, October 15, 2014

10 Items I Always Buy at the Dollar Store

The Dollar Store is one of my favorite places to visit. Every time I go in, I feel like a kid at Christmas. There are always new items and everything is only $1. While there are certain items I wouldn’t recommend buying at a dollar store, there are a lot of good bargains. I’ve put together a list of ten items that I always buy at the dollar store. 



These are items that are often much more expensive at other stores and are still a decent quality.


Greeting Cards

I’ve seen greeting cards priced as high as $6 at some stores, and on average, find them for between $2 and $4. But the dollar store has a huge variety of cards for all occasions and they are only $1. Our dollar store also has a section for 2/$1 cards and they are just as nice as a $4 card you’d find elsewhere.




Gift Wrap

I typically use gift bags and tissue paper to wrap most of my gifts and that can get expensive. The dollar store has really nice gift bags for just $1 and packs of tissue paper holding 10-20 sheets for – you guessed it - $1.




Storage / Organizing Containers

When I’m working on an organizing project at home, I usually shop my house first for any containers that I might be able to re-purpose. When I can’t find something at home, I check the Dollar Store before going to a thrift store or other store. Our dollar store carries plastic storage containers, fabric storage boxes, baskets, and bins of all shapes, colors, and sizes. I can usually find something that will work for my needs, even if I need to manipulate it a little bit to work. This is how I was able to organize our entire RV for less than $40.




Holiday Décor

Honestly, Christmas is about the only holiday I decorate for. But each season, the holiday décor selection at the dollar store changes and it’s usually pretty nice stuff. Christmas, Easter, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Saint Patrick’s Day, and Valentine’s Day are popular decorating holidays and the dollar store comes through with tons of fun décor for super cheap. At Christmas, they carry bulb ornaments and other tree décor that you just can’t find for that price anywhere else.




Picture Frames

When I need a small picture frame for a project or a gift, I check the dollar store first. I make sure to inspect the frame for any scratches or dings and especially check the glass for any cracks or breaks. I bought a batch of 12 8x10 frames at the dollar store to use for our wedding décor. The frames hold up well and by far beat the other store prices of $5-$30+ for frames.




Dishes

I don’t buy my regular dishes at the dollar store, but I do buy dishes to be used as gifts. For example, last Christmas I purchased some coffee mugs at the dollar store and filled them with different drink mixes like hot cider, hot cocoa, and coffee. These made nice gifts for neighbors, co-workers, and other hard-to-buy-for people on my list. They also carry plates, bowls, and regular drinking glasses.





Party supplies

Planning a party? Go to the dollar store! They have party décor, crepe paper, blank thank you notes, balloons, and other items that make decorating for your event a breeze (and pretty inexpensive).





Kid Gifts

As more of our friends and family have beautiful babies, we are being invited to more kids birthday parties every year. Not wanting to go empty handed, we often visit the dollar store for gifts. The dollar store has puzzles, activity books, coloring books, colored pencils, crayons, regular books, and fun arts and crafts kits for kids. Shopping here allows us to get more gift items for less. I make it a point to pick up a gift bag and card at the same time!




Mailing Supplies 

Mailing out items can get expensive quick. The dollar store carries large and small clasp envelopes, cardboard boxes, padded envelopes, bubble wrap, regular envelopes, and packaging tape that make shipping easy and affordable!




Office supplies

When I need note paper, note pads, sticky notes, pens, pencils, poster board, or other basic office supplies, I usually check with the dollar store first. They also typically have binders, binder dividers, file folders, and report covers.




Bonus Item: Kitchen utensils

I was hesitant to include this item in my list because you have to be careful what you buy here. The dollar store sells a variety of kitchen utensils like spatulas, spoons, measuring cups, bag clips, pizza cutters, etc. Some of the stuff is a bit cheap. You don’t want to end up with melted spatula as part of your grilled cheese sandwich. But I have picked up a couple pairs of kitchen scissors (I use these all the time), bag clips, and cutting mats at the dollar store and I haven’t had a problem with any of them.

I make most of my own cleaning products now, but I know a lot of people buy cleaning products at the dollar store as well.

Overall, this wonderful place saves me a ton of money each year and is always one of my favorite stops when I'm out and about running errands. 

What items do you buy at the dollar store? Do you agree with my list? Have something to add?

This post was shared in a link party over at:


30 Handmade Days        
 ABFOL One Project at a Time3GLOL

4 comments:

  1. I love the dollar store too! Sometimes after not visiting for a while I forget that everything is actually a dollar. This is a great list because some things are only one dollar for a reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patricia, thanks for your comment! You're right, in a lot of cases you often get what you pay for. That's why I get so excited when I find good items for only $1. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. I buy a lot of the same items, especially party items. I don't like their plastic cutlery though. The plastic is too thin and bends and breaks trying to cut up even relatively soft foods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info, Andrea. I don't have personal experience with the plastic cutlery, but it sounds like it's not worth the potential savings!

      Delete

I appreciate your comments and read every one! I look forward to hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...