Monday, February 17, 2014

All In The Name Of Love

Happy Monday! I hope everyone had a terrific Valentine's weekend. Since February is the month of love, I thought I'd take a break from the organizing projects today and share a little more about myself with you - the story that is me and the mister. I promised back here that I'd share the story of how we got engaged, so in honor of keeping promises...here it is!




We did things slightly backwards in that we purchased our home before getting engaged/married, but we had several of those "where is this going" conversations and knew each other's intentions of this being a forever thing. We were scheduled to get the keys to our house on a Monday. I had a lot going on at work, so I decided to work that day and start moving in the evening. My mister, however, was so excited about moving in that he was sure to take Monday off of work and get a head start. We had a pleasant surprise the Friday before that when the previous owners gave us a call and said they were all moved out and the house was all ours as soon as we wanted to come over. I think it took us all of about 5 minutes to get ourselves together and get in the car and speed over to the new abode. We were so excited. Needless to say, a lot of moving happened over the weekend, leaving the mister with not a ton to do on his day off Monday.

He planned to put a couple pieces of furniture together, get a few rooms set up, and relax from a busy weekend. On Monday morning, I got up just like any other day and went in to work. I got a few phone calls throughout the day from him saying how bored he was and how he had nothing to do. It was totally believable because he is the type of person who can't sit still for more than 20 minutes at a time. I kept trying to come up with ideas, but I was running out of tasks to delegate. Quittin' time finally rolled around and I got in my car and headed home. When I pulled into the garage, he came out the front door dressed in a suit and offered to help me carry my things inside. 

Now, you'd think that would have sparked some curiosity in my head - but earlier that day, one of the tasks I delegated to him was to try on some older clothes and decide what he wanted to keep and what he could get rid of. This way, it'd help us organize our closets more efficiently. So I just figured I had pulled into the garage at the moment he was trying on a suit...

He carried my bag into the house and I followed behind. As I walked into the door I noticed some rose petals on the floor. 




Yep, that sparked my curiosity. 

I thought maybe he had planned a romantic evening to celebrate our new home. I hung up my coat and took off my shoes and walked into the kitchen to find multiple vases of red, white, and pink roses all along our kitchen island. Next to each vase was one or two cards or notes we had exchanged over our dating years. (Yes, he kept them!) As I started to wrap my head around what might be happening, I realized there was music playing in the background and at about that same moment he took my hand and started singing "our song" to me. He led me along the vases of past memories to the kitchen table. 





On the table was a plate of sushi, one of our favorite foods to share together. It was sushi wrapped in pink seaweed molded into the shape of a heart. I can hear all the awww's now (or the eww's if you don't like sushi...but stay with me). 




There was also a ring shaped jewelry box sitting there for me. He handed it to me and asked me to open it. I thought to myself, "That's not what you're supposed to do..." but I did it. It was empty! When I looked up, he was down on one knee. I don't remember his exact words because it all happened so fast - but he said some sweet things and then pulled out the real ring and asked me to marry him. Obviously, I said yes! 



He bought my diamond separately and had a band custom designed, so no one else will ever have a ring like mine. I called my mom first, bursting with excitement. She happened to be at the grocery store and I debated waiting to tell her the news until she got home but I couldn't hold it in. She started crying in the middle of the aisle. I still laugh thinking about her standing there on the phone bawling, so excited. While the mister had been sneaky and talked to my dad about a month beforehand, neither one of them let mom in on the secret. Very impressive!

So that's how we became Mr. and Mrs. Well, that plus 9 months of crazy planning, budgeting, food tasting, shopping, etc.... 




I treasure him and his support every single day. I really don't think I could do all that needs to be done without his help. I guess that's why they call it your "other half". Cheers to love (and to organizing)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and read every one! I look forward to hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...