Monday, February 24, 2014

Creating a Command Center: DIY Cork Board

I love solutions that alleviate more than one problem. I also love solutions that involve drinking wine. This project does both!

As I was putting our command center together, I decided I needed something to hang next to the paint chip calendar because the wall looked a bit bare. 

I didn't just want to add something random that took up space. I wanted something functional. We have a small-ish white board that has been roaming around our house looking for a place to call home for awhile now and I thought it'd be perfect for this spot. But when I got around to hanging it up I realized it was a bit too big. 

Knowing I needed to find another solution, I poured myself a glass of wine and did some brain storming about what would really be functional in this space. I decided that some sort of bulletin board would be best - either a magnetic board that we could post up photos or notes or business cards with magnets or a corkboard that we could do the same thing with except with push pins. I debated back and forth until I remembered a bag of corks that I had found when I cleaned out the DRAWERS in this space. A DIY corkboard? A solution for my wall, a solution for all those scrap pieces of paper floating around, and a solution for the insane amount of corks the mister and I have collected over the years. Genius!




I really didn't want to spend too much money on this project. Well, who am I kidding, I never really want to spend too much money on ANY project... so I started rummaging around the house for supplies. I found a couple picture frames I picked up about a year ago at a garage sale for FREE! And, I found some acrylic paint that mostly matched the color scheme of the command center. I was set.

My first step was to paint the frame. I removed the backing and the glass and covered it in three coats of paint.

Once it was dry, I sat down to watch an episode of American Idol (I'm not sure I can really get into it this year, but nothing else was on) and I spilled out all our corks on the coffee table. I slid the original backing back into the frame, but left the glass out. Then I just started arranging a basic pattern with the corks until I had a row that I liked. I used my mini glue gun to glue the row into place before moving on to the next row. 




This project went pretty fast. The arranging and gluing of the corks only took about 45 minutes. The bottom row was a bit tricky but I ended up having a cork in our bin that had broke in half when we opened the bottle and it remedied the problem easily. 




So cute! I learned a few things from this project. First, cute projects can be done for free. Second, wine helps me brainstorm. And third, we really need to venture out in the varieties of wine we are enjoying because I had a hard time getting different types of corks into the frame. I must have went through a Barefoot and Yellow Tail phase...




Anyway, the board fits perfectly in it's new home and I've already starting pinning goodies onto it. 



I intend to hang both the calendar and the corkboard on the wall - but I have a wall treatment in mind to bring more color into this space first! Stay tuned! 

This project was featured in a link-up at:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and read every one! I look forward to hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...