Monday, December 16, 2013

Conquering Cord Clutter

Clutter is the worst. Cord clutter is the second worst. I’d like to invent a universal power cord that fits all electronic devices and become a millionaire. Instead, I settled on a DIY charging station to contain our cord clutter once and for all.


I scoured Pinterest for a variety of ideas and combined a few to get my end result: a surge protector lying in a pretty box with slots cut into it for individual power cords to file through. Initially, my plan was to use an old shoe box and decoupage some pretty scrapbook paper on it. But then I was wandering through Hobby Lobby and found a photo box for $4. With the 40% off coupon I had, it was only $2.40! That was definitely worth it for me to save the time and energy of cutting, folding, and modge podging an old shoebox. Besides that, the box was navy and cream, two colors that will fit into our eventual Master Bedroom décor. PERFECT!

My goal was to cut 4 cord slots into one side of the box. The perfectionist in me wanted each of these slots to be evenly spaced and level. When I realized my 12 inch ruler wasn’t going to fit inside my 11 inch box, I cut a piece of scrap paper the size of one side of the box and drew a template. Then I temporarily inserted the template into the box securing it with a few small pieces of scrapbook adhesive.




Very carefully, I cut out my four slots with a utility knife. Once they were cut out, I filed each one down a little so they were relatively smooth. Still not pretty, but smooth.


I found a pack of metal bookplates at JoAnn’s on sale for $2.96 so I attached those to the box with some silver scrapbooking brads. The box started to look prettier.



Finally, I printed some labels and punched them out with this Stampin’ Up punch. I attached those to the box with some scrapbook adhesive.



I have read a lot of comments and concerns online about this type of box generating a lot of heat with all those chargers plugged in. Not wanting to set my house on fire in the name of cord clutter control, I cut a few vent holes out of the back of the box. These holes will also allow the power cord of the surge protector to extend out of the box easily.



Finally, I put the surge protector into the box and fed the cord out one of the vent holes. I plugged in each charger and extended it out its appropriately labeled slot on the front of the box. Voila! Cord Clutter Conquered!


While it’s my intention to leave the chargers plugged into the surge protector all the time, the switch on the surge protector is easily accessible through the back vent holes so we can switch it off when none of the chargers are being used.




Do you have a creative way to contain your cord clutter? Have you created a DIY charging station of your own? I’d love to see your creations!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and read every one! I look forward to hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...