Monday, December 9, 2013

Holy Guacamole, Batman!

Well I don't intend for this to necessarily be a recipe blog, I really wanted to share this recipe with you. I've never been a huge fan of guacamole, but to stay with the theme of being open to trying new things, I decided to revisit it when I discovered this recipe. 



For whatever reason, the idea of eating something somewhat slimy and green sounded more appealing with chunks of other vegetables mixed in. I originally found the recipe in a magazine about a year ago and, I apologize, I can't for the life of me remember which magazine. So cheers to whoever discovered it and, if you know where it came from, please let me know so I can give credit where credit is due! 

  • 2 large or 3 small avocados
  • 1 ripe tomato, chopped
  • 2 tbsp diced onion
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • Salt & Pepper to taste

If you've never handled an avocado before, figuring out how to get it open can be intimidating. With a few easy steps, you'll have that avocado handled in no time! First I slice all the way around the avocado the long way. Then, I twist the halves apart. This should separate the two halves, leaving the pit inside one half. 


To remove the pit I stab it with the end of a sharp knife and twist a bit until it comes loose. Don't throw the pit away though. You may need it later! Once the avocado is split open and the pit is removed, I use a spoon to scoop out all the flesh into a medium sized bowl. The remaining skins can be discarded. Do this for all of the avocados. 


Add the diced onion, chopped tomato, garlic and lemon juice and stir until thoroughly mixed. Try a little bite and add salt and pepper as needed. Yum! 


The downfall of avocados is that they turn brown rather quickly when exposed to oxygen. So, if you plan to make this appetizer a bit ahead of serving time, you want to take some precautions to avoid serving up a brown bowl of mush. First, stick the pits back into the guacamole once it’s fully prepared. I don't know the scientific reason this slows down the oxidation process, but I know it does. 


Second, cover the top of the guacamole with saran wrap so that the wrap lies directly on top of the guacamole. In other words, you want the saran wrap to actually touch the entire top surface of the dish. These two steps should slow down the oxidation for you enough to impress your guests with a gleaming green dish of beautiful guac. 

I made this for a summer camping trip the Mister and I embarked on. I prepared the guacamole on Friday morning and we didn't get to enjoying it until dinner on Saturday. I actually stored mine in a covered glass Pyrex container with the pits stuck in and when I removed it from the cooler and gave it a good stir, it was still green and ready to eat! 



Enjoy it with a handful of your favorite tortilla chips and maybe a margarita or two! :) 

What dish were you once not so sure about but now love to eat? 

This post was shared in a link party over at:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and read every one! I look forward to hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...