Friday, December 6, 2013

Freezer Meal Friday ~ Honey Sesame Chicken

I confess, I love Chinese food. Despite that love, I don’t indulge in that deliciousness very often. There isn’t a great Chinese place close by our house and the ones we do go to are not considered “reasonably priced” in our small spending budget . That being said, I try to make dishes at home now and then that somewhat resemble something we’d get when dining out for Chinese. Enter Honey Sesame Chicken.



I stumbled upon this recipe at Baked In The South. This is a great recipe to make as a freezer meal.

Honey Sesame Chicken


  • 1 lb chicken tenders (I used chicken breasts and chopped them into 1 inch pieces)
  • 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
  • 1 Cup Honey
  • 2 Tbsp Sesame Seeds
  • ½ Cup Soy Sauce
  • 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pepper


Just toss all of the ingredients into a freezer bag, mix it all up, and freeze. 



While putting this meal together is super easy, apparently taking pictures while doing it is not… I apologize for the lack of good pictures of this delicious meal. 

Anyway, I take the bag out of the freezer the night before and thaw it in the fridge. Put it in the crock pot in the morning and cook on low for 4-5 hours. I served this over rice with some steamed veggies. The Mr. ranted and raved about how good it was and I think he may have enjoyed it even more the next day as a leftover lunch. 

Cost to make:
1 lb Chicken - $1.99/lb on sale
Olive Oil – On hand
1 Cup Honey – $4.29
2 Tbsp Sesame Seeds - $.75
½ Cup Soy Sauce - $1.10
Sesame Oil – On hand
Salt – On hand
Pepper – On hand
2 Cups Rice – $.65
Total = $8.78

This recipe made us four good sized meals for only $2.20 per meal!

What eat out favorites have you adapted to make at home?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments and read every one! I look forward to hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...